This Herbed Chicken Parmesan recipe is a family favorite, and provides the ultimate family meal, being both flavorful, and relatively inexpensive.
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups jarred tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 (0.6-ounce) slices provolone cheese, cut into thin strips
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley, and basil in a shallow dish; place egg whites in a bowl.
- Dip each chicken breast in egg whites, then coat in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook 5 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Remove pan from heat.
- Combine pasta sauce and vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave on High for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated through.
- Pour sauce over chicken in pan.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and layer provolone over chicken.
- Cover, and cook 2 minutes or until cheeses melt.