- 2 lb Firm white fish – whole, fillets, cutlets or steaks
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Turmeric ground
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper ground
- Peanut oil for shallow frying
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic chop fine
- 1/4 cup Tamarind liquid
- Soya sauce or Fish sauce to taste
- 1 tbsp Palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp Chili paste
- 3 tbsp Green onions sliced thin
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves whole
Rub fish with the salt, turmeric and pepper.
Heat the oil and fry the fish over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
Pour all but 1 tbsp of the oil from the wok and add the garlic. Stir fry until the garlic is slightly browned.
Add tamarind liquid, soya sauce, fish sauce, palm sugar and chili paste, and bring to a boil.
Add the fish and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, spooning it over the fish as it cooks.
Add green onions and simmer 1 minute.
Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
Yield – 2 lb