Pork Ginataan with Squash & String Beans is a rich and delicious Filipino dish that makes use of pork, coconut milk, and vegetables such as squash and string beans. This recipe has many variations. You can do this with any meat, including seafood such as crab.
- 1½ lbs. pork, cubed
- 1½ cup beef broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup shrimp paste (bagoong)
- 1 small butternut squash, cubed
- 1 small bundle of string beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the oil gets hot, saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the ground black pepper. Stir and then add the pork. Cook the pork until the color turns light brown.
- Pour the beef broth in the cooking pot. Let it boil.
- Add the coconut milk. Stir and allow to boil once more. Cover and cook in low to medium heat until the pork gets tender.
- Add the squash. Stir, cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp paste. Stir.
- Add the string beans. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add salt only if needed.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!