- Regrets always come later.
- Wise man’s anger never comes out.
- Snake to snake, see the leg. (Snakes have no legs. But crooks can see how other crooks will do.)
- Mango among fruits, pork among meats, tea among leaves (are the best)
- You can stop speaking to someone, but you cannot stop being related.
- Do use a needle in time, or you might need an axe later. (As same as “A stitch in time saves nine”)
- Collect the water while it rains.
- You can even be a God, if you try.
- You can be a king, if you are brave.
- Old cows like young grass.
- Anyone can fancy his bed as a palace. (You can believe whatever you want.)
- There’s only 2 ways: go cracy, or go extraordinary! (Be somebody!)
- Don’t be a sling bag. (It’s like CNN Ted Turner’s Lead, follow, or get out of the way.)
- You can pull back your leg, but not your committed word.
- It’s dress in a man, bindings in baskets’ edge (are important)
- Bone in chicken, relatives in man (that one can’t avoid)
- Calling out for mother, only when you stumble.
- Before the bending arm straighten, or before the straighten arm bends (do the good, choose the better)
- Be deligent when there’s time.
- It’s like catching 2 eels at a time. (Doing 2 unsure things at a time, instead of doing 1 certain thing.)
- Harrow before the cow. (instead of the cow before the harrow)
- Forgetting the cow, when going out to plough. (when most important thing is forgotten)
- Fidelity in a king, promise in men. (are to keep)
- Using up the arrows, before getting into battle.
- Two may become enemies, when their ideas are the same.
- If there are too many teachers or leaders with different ideas, the follower will not do nothing and learn nothing.
- An unmarried woman is not honored, even if she has 10 brothers.
- Wisdom is in the books. (Find them there)
- A ship-load of fish gets spoiled, because of 1 spoiled fish.
- One can’t die if he’s brave. Even when he die his name lasts forever.
- You fail if you’re afraid. Or brave, you may become a king.
- A genuine ruby wont sink and disappear in mud.
- Fisherman near fisherman. Hunter near hunter.
- 1 day 1 yard. Bagan won’t move. (Do it a little every day, and you’ll achieve)
- Unmistakable lawyer. Immortal medicineman. (They never exist)
- Seek wisdom like a begger. (Be humble)
Loka Niti: Words of the Wise
- Never think of knowledge and wisdom as little.
Seek it and store it in the mind.
Note that ant-hills are built with small particles of dust, and
incessantly-falling rain drops when collected can fill a big pot.
- There is no ruby in every mountain.
There is no pearl in every elephant.
There is no sandal-wood in every forest.
There is no sage in every place.
- One with scanty knowledge tends to think a little learning a lot and be haughty.
It is just as a puny frog, not having seen the ocean, thinks a little well-water a lot.
- One without learning has to carry others’ burden.
One who has knowledge is honoured by others.
So strive daily to get knowledge.
- As the egret is ungraceful among Hamsas,
so also is the foolish in an assembly.
- Listening and noting well enriches knowledge.
Knowledge enhances progress.
- There is no friend like learning.
There is no enemy like disease.
- Go not to the battlefield without arms.
Speak not without reference to treatises.
Travel not afar without companion.
- Without wealth, be not excessive in eating.
Without strength , Love not fighting.
Without learning, speak not too much.
- Don’t visit another’s house frequently without being invited.
Don’t talk too much without being asked.
Don’t extol and boast of oneself. (Don’t blow one’s own trumpet)
- The pot not full of water is turbulent.
One with a little knowledge shows off.
- The ocean is not contented in receiving water.
The eye is not contented in seeing the beloved.
The wise is not contented in good speech.
- Though fully endowed with good looks and youthfulness he who has no knowledge is ungraceful. It is like paukpwint (pauk flower) without scent.
- Even the son of low parentage can be the king’s counsellor.
Even the son of the foolish can be a sage.
Even the son of a poor man can be rich.
So don’t be contemptuous of a man.
- The pupil who wants knowledge and studies many cannot recite what he studied,
just like dumb one who cannot retell the dream..
- Pauk leaf that wraps Taungzalat flower smells fragrant like that flower.
So also is the same for those who associate with the wise.