(Oysters Fried in Egg Batter)
- 2/3 lb. oysters
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 10 gingko nuts
- ginger juice
- black pepper
- MSG (optional)
- 1. Buy fresh, large oysters. Wash them in salt water, remove the shells and drain.
- 2. Sprinkle the clean oysters with the black pepper and ginger juice.
- 3.Dip the oysters into flour and then into the beaten egg. Fry them in a hot oiled pan.
- 4. Stir-fry the shelled gingko nuts with salt and peel off the skin.
- 5. Arrange the fried oysters in a dish and garnish with the ginko nuts and parsley.
(Korean Barbecue Meat)
Yield: 1 servings
- 4 lb Short Ribs
- 1/2 c Shoyu
- 1 tb Sugar
- 1 ds Black pepper
- 2 Cloves Garlic;finely chopped
- 1 tb Honey
- 1 1″ cube ginger;finely sliced
- 2 Stalks green onion;fine chop
- 1 ts Sesame oil
- Slice meat 1/8 inch away from bone, leaving bone attached. Crisscross meat to break fibers and allow marinade to penetrate. Combine sauce ingredients and marinate meat for a minimum of 1 hour. Broil or barbecue to desired doneness.
(Yield: 6 servings)
- 2 lb Beef sirloin, lean
- 4 T Light soy sauce
- 2 T ;water
- 2 T Scallion; minced
- 1 Garlic clove; minced
- 3 T Soy sauce, dark
- 1 T Sesame oil
- 1 ts Black bean paste
- 1 T Sugar
- 1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 ts Ginger; freshly grated
- 1 1/2 ts Sugar
- 1 T Sesame seed, toasted*
- 1 T Oil
- Tabasco; to taste
- Salt; to taste
- 1 Garlic clove; crushed
- 1 ts Sesame seed, toasted*
- 1 ts Scallion; minced
- 1 T Oil
* TOASTED SESAME SEED: Place 1 cup sesame seed and 1 teaspoon salt in a skillet, brown seeds slowly until they are toast-colored and puffed. Stir constantly while toasting. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Pulverize seeds in a mortar or a blender. Store in a tightly capped bottle.
Cut beef into very thin strips and pound to flatten; then cut into medium size squares. Combine all the other ingredients. The marinade, as the name of the dish implies, should be quite fiery. Mix meat and marinade and set aside for 4 to 5 hours, or longer if refrigerated. Broil very quickly over hot charcoal, dip in Bulgogi sauce (next recipe) and serve immediately with white rice.
The marinated beef can also be fried in hot peanut oil for just a few minutes. Crush garlic with sugar and salt to make a smooth paste. Combine with remaining ingredients. Dip broiled or fried beef slices in the sauce.
From: Sam Waring
- 1/2 lb. finely ground beef or pork
- 1/2 lb. cellophane noodles
- 1/2 bunch spinach (about 1 1/2 cup when cooked
- 10 mushrooms, fresh or dried
- 1/2-1 onion chopped
- 1-2 carrots, shredded or finely slivered
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon MSG (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed & finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil
1. Fry meat in small amount of cooking oil until done and set aside.
2. Cook noodles in boiling water, test for tenderness. They should be soft but firm. Rinse noodles in cold water when done. 3. Cut noodles to 3 or 4 inch lengths.
4. Cook spinach in boiling water, drain, rinse in cold water and drain again. Cut into bite size pieces and set aside.
5. If dried mushrooms are used, wash well and soak in warm water for 15 minutes. If fresh, wash well.
6. Chop mushrooms into small pieces.
7. Over medium heat in wok or frypan, heat some cooking oil and stir-fry mushrooms, onion and carrots until barely tender.
8. Add meat, noodles, spinach and more oil if needed to prevent sticking.
9. Stir and cook, adding sesame seeds, sesame oil,soy sauce, sugar, MSG, garlic, pepper and salt. Taste as you cook and mix in seasonings, adjusting them to taste.
10. Heat just long enough to heat ingredients and blend flavors.
Makes amout 6 servings.
From: [email protected]
Korean BBQ Chicken
(Yield: 1 servings)
- 1/4 c Sesame seeds
- 1/4 c Corn oil
- 1/4 c Soy Sauce
- 1/4 c Dark Corn Syrup (Karo)
- 1 ea Small onion, sliced
- 1 ea Clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 ts Pepper
- 1/4 ts Ginger, ground
- 1 ea Broiler-Fryer Chicken (cut -into pieces)
In a shallow baking dish stri together the first eight ingredients. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate, turning once, at least three hours.
Grill over low coals, turning and basting frequently, about 50 minutes.
Source: Best Barbecue Recipes by Mildred Fischer
Mixed Vegies with Beef
Mixed vegetables with beef (“chapche”) is usually made when there are some celebration or party. But it is easy to make and now is served in any time people want.
The dishes contains seasoned beef, vegetables, and noodles. Its taste is sweet and very special.
- 5 oz lean beef
- A: 2 T soy sauce, 1 T sesame oil,1 t sugar, 1/2 cooking wine.
- Crushed garlic, roasted sesame seeds, finely chopped green onion
- 1 3/4 oz bean threads, i green onion, 4 dried mushrooms, soacked in water, 1 oz carrot, 1/3 oz dried cloud ear mushrooms, soacked in water.
- 1 green peper, 2/3 t salad oil, salt and pepper.
- B: 1 t roasted sesame seeds, 2/3 t soy sauce, 1/2 t sugar
- 1/3 t sesame oil, crushed garlic, pepper, MSG
- In salted boiling water, cooked bean threads 3- 4 minutes until transparent.
- Drain and cut into 2 1/2 inch length.
- Cut beef and make it into strips.
- Combine A and add beef to marinate.
- Slice green onion diagonally.
- Cut mushrooms into strips.
- Cut ear mushrooms into bite size pieces. Cut carrot and green pepper into the strips.
- Heat salad oil and add green onion. Cook briefly and seas on with salt and pepper. In the same manner cook all vegetables.
- Heat salad oil and cook beef strips.
- Combine B. Add bean threads and mix well.
- Add vegetables and beef. Mix and serve it.
Vegies and Beef on Rice
(“bibimbap”) is made from cooked rice mixed with bits of meat, seasoned vegetables, and egg. If desired, it can be eaten with “kochujang”
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 oz beef
- 1 oz each radish and carrot, spinach, soybean sprouts and fiddlehead, seasoned
- salad oil
- For marinate: 1/2 T soy sauce, 2/3 T sesame oil, 1/4 t sugar, 1/4cooking wine.
- Cut beef into strips and marinate 5 minutes. In hot oil cook briefly; set aside. Place hot cooked rice in a bowl.
- Arrange 4 kinds of seasoned vegetables on rice. Place beef too.
- Heat oil and drop egg and cook.
- Place fried egg on top of beef. Serve with “kochujang” and sesame oil.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 lb Pork shoulder or other lean- -pork
- 2 ea Scallions
- 1 ea Cloves garlic
- 1 tb Sesame oil
- 1 tb Sesame seeds
- 1 tb Sugar
- Dash black pepper
- 4 tb Kochu chang
This dish is fairly spicy: it gets its highly seasoned flavor from kochee chang (Red Bean Paste, found in many Oriental food stores. If it is not available, Japanese miso sauce amy be substituted). Although the amount indicated is recommended, it is possible to use a little less.
1. Cut the pork into 4 or 5 slices about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Mince the scallions. Mince or crush the garlic. Combine both ingredients with the remaining seasonings in a bowl. Add the pork slices and mix well until all sides of the pork are coated.
3. Grill immediately or marinate until ready to serve. It is important that the pork be well done; the outside should be dark, almost charred. A charcoal, an electric or an oven grill may be used.
Source: The Korean Cookbook, by Judy Hyun.
Korean Beef Sticks
Serving Size : 6
- 1 lb Boneless beef sirloin steak, -1/2″ thick
- 1/4 c Soy sauce
- 1 tb Toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tb Water
- 2 ts Sugar
- 1/2 ts Tabasco sauce
- 1 Clove garlic, pressed
- Bamboo skewers
Slice beef into 1/4″ thick strips, each about 4-5″ long. Thread onto bamboo skewers, keeping meat as flat as possible. Arrange skewers in large shallow pan. Blend soy sauce, sesame seed, water, sugar, pepper sauce and garlic, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture evenly over skewers; turn over to coat all sides. Let stand 30 minutes, turning skewers over occasionally. Remove skewers from marinade; place half on flat microwave-safe plate. Microwave on High 30 seconds. Turn skewers over and bring skewers from outside of plate to center. Microwave on High 30 seconds (for rare), or to desired degree of doneness. Repeat procedure with remaining skewers.
Korean Meat Fritters
Serving Size : 4
- 2 lb Sirloin tip steak
- 3 Sprigs green onion, minced
- 2 tb Sesame seed oil
- 2 ts Sesame seeds
- 1/2 c Soy sauce
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Dash of black pepper
- 5 Eggs
Slice meat 3″x4″x1/4″ thick. Combine all other ingredients except eggs and soak meat in sauce for one hour. Flour meat, dip in slightly beaten egg, and fry over medium head until brown. Serve hot with sauce. Sauce: 2 tbsp. soy sauce 1 tsp. chopped green onion 1 tsp. sesame seeds 1 tsp. vinegar 1 tsp. sugar Mix all ingredients together.
Serving Size : 4
- 8 oz Whitebait Or Other Very Tiny – Whole Fish
- 3 Egg Whites
- 3/4 ts Salt
- 1 tb White Sesame Seeds, Finely – Ground
- 1 1/2 ts Chili Powder
- Oil For Deep-Frying
- 2 tb Sesame Oil
Wash the fish and dry thoroughly. Beat the egg whites, then blend in the salt, ground sesame seeds and chili powder.
Heat the oil to moderately hot. Dip the fish into the egg white mixture, then drop into the hot oil and deep-fry until golden brown and crisp. Lift out with a spoon and drain well on paper towels. (The fish can be stored, when cool, in an airtight container.)
Just before serving, heat the sesame oil in a wide skillet to very hot. Add the fish and fry, stirring frequently, until heated through and crisp. Serve at once.
From Asia The Beautiful Cookbook.
Stir-Fried Cucumbers And Beef
Serving Size : 4
- 4 sm Cucumbers
- 5 1/4 oz Lean beef
- 1 t Salt
- 1 tb Salad oil
- 1/4 ts Crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tb Finely chopped green onion
- 1 t Roasted sesame seeds
- 1 t Sesame oil
- 1/2 ts Soy sauce
- 1/2 ts Ground chili pepper
- 1/4 ts Salt
- Chili pepper — shredded
Cut off both ends of cucumbers and slice thinly.
In a bowl place the cucumbers and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand 5-10 minutes.
When cucumbers are flexible, wrap in a cloth or paper towel and squeeze out water.
Cut beef into julienne strips.
Heat salad oil. Quickly stir-fry beef over high heat and season with Mixture A.
Add cucumber slices and stir-fry briefly. Season with Mixture B. Transfer to serving plate and garnish with shredded chili pepper.
* Source: Quick & Easy Korean Cooking for Everyone * by Ji Sook Choe & Yukiko Moriyama *
Seafood And Vegetable Omelet
Serving Size : 4
- 8 lg Shrimp
- 8 lg Oysters
- 5 oz White meat fish fillets – (such as cod swordfish)
- 6 oz Firm tofu
- 4 oz Pumpkin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 c Flour, for dusting
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 t Salt
- 1 t Crushed garlic
- MSG (optional, of course)
- Salad oil
Shell shrimp. Cut open along the back, and devein. Wash oysters in salted water and pat dry. Cut fish fillets into 1/4 inch slices.
Wrap tofu in a cloth and top with a chopping board; let stand to drain, 30 minutes. Cut into 1/2 inch thickness. Cut pumpkin into thin slices.
In a bowl, mix batter ingredients. Lightly dust seafood and vegetables with flour. Shake off excess flour. Heat oil in a skillet. Dip ingredients into batter and place in skillet. Cook both sides.
When cooking, press out water using fork. Arrange on serving plate and serve with vinegared soy sauce.
Source: Quick & Easy Korean Cooking for Everyone by Ji Sook Choe & Yukiko Moriyama
Shin Sul Ro
Korean Hot Pot
Yield: 6 servings
- 8 oz Beef Or Calves Liver
- 8 oz Prepared Tripe
- 4 oz Lean Beef Rump Or Fillet
- 4 oz Lean Ground Beef Or Pork
- Salt And Black Pepper
- 1 Egg Light Soy Sauce
- 1 sm Carrot
- 6 Dried Chinese Black – Mushrooms, Soaked
- 8 c Rich Beef Broth
- 3 oz Can Bamboo Shoots, Drained
- 18 Canned Gingko Nuts, Drained
- 2 tb Pine Nuts, Optional
- 1 Fresh Red Chili, Shredded
- 3 Green Onions, Shredded
—————–VINEGAR SOY DIPPING SAUCE—————–
- 3/4 c Light Soy Sauce
- 1/4 c White Vinegar
- 1/4 c White Sesame Seeds, Toasted – And Ground
- 2 ts Finely Chopped Green Onions
This cook-at-the-table one-pot dish is served with a biting vinegar soy sauce dip. The meat and vegetables are eaten first; then the stock, well flavored by the ingredients and pepped up with chili, is served as a soup with a sprinkling of diced onions.
Very thinly slice the liver, sprinkle with salt and pepper and fry lightly in a little vegetable oil with a few drops of sesame oil until colored and sealed on the surface. Set aside.
Boil the tripe for 8 minutes in lightly salted water; drain and cut into narrow strips.
Cut the beef into thin slices. Pound with a meat mallet or the side of a cleaver and cut into small squares.
Mix the ground meat with the egg, adding salt, pepper and a few drops each of sesame oil and soy sauce. Form small meatballs with wet hands. Fry in a half-and-half mixture of sesame and vegetable oils until lightly browned.
Peel and slice the carrot. Drain the mushrooms and remove the stems. Bring the stock to the boil in a suitable vessel in the center of the table. Add the meat, vegetables and nuts and simmer gently for about 15 minutes. Spoon straight from the pot into small bowls with the vinegar soy dip.
When the meat and vegetables have been eaten, add the finely shredded chili and green onions to the remaining stock and serve in soup bowls.
Vinegar Soy Dipping Sauce: Mix all ingredients. The sauce keeps for several days in the refrigerator without the green onions, one day with the green onions added.
From Asia The Beautiful Cookbook.Tags: Meats